Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Baby, I could never resent your ass

I finished my Economics and Urban Affairs term paper!
It's over. Done. Finished. The likeliness that I will ever do anything related to obesity and food insecurity again: 0. Ok, maybe not 0, but hovering pretty darn close. The best part of this paper was that I got to quote Sir Mix-a-Lot:

I'm tired of magazines
Sayin' flat butts are the thing
Take the average black man and ask him that
She gotta pack much back
So, fellas! (Yeah!) Fellas! (Yeah!)
Has your girlfriend got the butt? (Hell yeah!)
Tell 'em to shake it! (Shake it!) Shake it! (Shake it!)
Shake that healthy butt!
Baby got back!

Now I can focus on: 1) paying the bills I have ignored because I have been too stressed about my paper to get stressed about money, 2) what I am going to produce as Christmas gifts for my and R's family, and 3) enjoying the two weeks of having nothing not do after work before the semester starts again.

A little bit on item #2. This is the one and only reason that I dislike Christmas - actually not so much dislike as resent. It feels horrible and chintzy to be sitting around the tree Christmas morning opening gifts, only to realize that your family has gone all out on you and given you really thoughtful presents – like coupons good for a pair of shoes, or a month of car insurance or something - while all you have done on the other had is wrapped up a tin of cookies and stuck it under the tree. Last year we were able to actually buy gifts, like grownups do, but this year we are superbly strapped. Looks like my ovens gonna be busy this week.

And while everyone talks about how it's about family and spending time together, when it comes down to getting a bad gift, or no gift, it’s not actually deemed acceptable. The person you’ve gifted (or not-gifted) gives you that face: ‘I am going to try and look gracious, but really I feel kind of bad for you that you can’t afford something better’ and ‘why did I blow $50 on Macy’s gift card for you if all you were gonna get me was a box of fugly, homemade macaroons?’

It’s not like we are kids anymore – we don’t have the ‘we’re struggling college kids’ anymore (although I can spring the struggling grad student )defense. We should be able to buy Christmas gifts for at least our immediate family.

But why should we have to? Why can’t I write a letter to everyone involved simply stating that I drop out of the gift giving this year and that all I want for Christmas is the pleasure of everyone’s company? (and then I get promptly kicked out in the cold for being such a cornball).

Christmas has started though – our tree is sitting in a bucket in the hallway waiting to get dolled up. Jingle fucking bells.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home