Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tragedy of the Idol

I (thankfully) will never be one of those people who can roam around a store for hours at a time and buy a whole bunch of the stuff I want just because I have a credit card. I probably would be that kind of person if I could tolerate being inside of a store for more than 10 minutes before getting dizzy, nauteous and sweaty. What, did you think I had really good self restraint? Oh no. It's just that I react badly to the concrete/vinyl flooring and the shoppers-MSG that they pump through the air ducts.

So it is probably more dangerous than you might think that at work I have a 23" monitor and computer that I have more affection for than I have ever had for any living pet. I am comfortable here, in my own personal Mac-land, and the moments inbetween incubations or what not are spent researching whatever random questions come into my head, and buying cheap things with my nearly maxed out credit card. Recently there has been a lot of used CD's - $2 or $3 items that are almost twice as expensive to ship. Last week I ordered 2 cases of Powerbars. Mostly it's books - either used books, or books that I can justify buying new because the shipping is free.

And who knows what train of thought got me thinking about Billy Idol this morning, but it led to me downloading Rebel Yell. That wasn't enough though: within the hour I went back for White Wedding (god do I love that song). iTunes is just so easy. And 99 cents seems like sooo little in the pile of debt already racked up. Well, between all the Patti Smith I've been injesting, the DJ Tracheotomy I got yesterday and the Billy Idol, I have a pretty rockin playlist to get me through the job that gives me the tools and the funds to fuel my habit.

It kind of ruined my buzz however when I read that this man (ok, I admit it - I had a crush on him when I was a kid. Do you remember the video for White Wedding? All I can see in my head is a dark bedroom with blinds and Billy jumping in the bed. Can you tell I was only like 6?) made an honest straight up Christmas album. And no, it's not kind of cool that he just said 'fuck it, I like Christmas and am going to sing about it.' It's like saying 'I like sex and it's free, so fuck, I'll just do it to you whether you want it or not.' It's irresponsible. There are so many versions of the same Christmas songs out there already. Some self control - it's all I ask.

(* maybe my analogy was a little severe. Sorry folks)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home