Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Oh my god it's winter

I have never been one to keep track of yearly weather patterns, but it seems like we are having an unseasonably cold spell here in Philly. Really? Hm. I hadn't noticed - I guess I couldn't feel the bite in the air through my hat, three sweaters and the sleeping bag I was in last night.

What frightens me is that it's not even Novemeber yet and the inside of our studio feels like a cave. It is impossible to move around and do anything - even eat becuase eating requires that you take your arms out from under the blankets. We just paid off our enormous debt to PGW from last winter. This month's bill was the first one that was for under $300 since we've been here, and I am frankly a little scared because we cannot have the gas shut off again. In the summer it's one thing - it's kind of 'cool'; you rough it just a little bit, take cold showers, microwave dinners - not so bad. But if we have no gas this winter we will die. Honestly. We will freeze - be found in our bed two well preserved specimens. It does not help that no matter the season, the temperature is more extreme on the inside. If it's 90 outside it's 95 in; if it's 30 outside it's atleast 25 in. You see what we are facing. It is even starting to sound more sane to live in atent in the parking lot than indoors.


And, don't let me forget to mention that if we do indeed get behind in our payments (which we will) we only get two weeks notice before they shut us off. No, no winter time protection for commercial gas customers. Thanks PGW!
Tonight R and I are going to check out space heaters, although I don't think that a $50 heater is going to do much to heat our 1200 square foot cave. Sorry, our 1200 square foot space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home