Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Correction

First things first: I said last time that all I remembered of Billy Idol's White Wedding video was the blinds and some bed jumping on Billy's part. Some thourough procrastinating revealed that I was actually remembering the video for Cradle of Love, and that it was the chick doing all kinds of crazy dancing on the bed, the geek peering through the blinds and Billy singing in the paintings on the wall. Seeing it again, I remembered how much I loved that video. Perhaps that's why I couldn't wait to grow up: girls would just come over and start dancing in my huge apartment, or to switch roles, I would see myself walking into strangers houses and changing their life by flinging my clothes off in their living room and grinding against their leather sofas. Did I mention that I was 7 or 8?

Sadly, the man has since snapped. Not only did Billy Idol make a Christmas album, but he made a series of Christmas videos - all of them in the same session, with the same Christmassy backdrops, only differing amounts of fake snow and bad video effects. In his rendition of Jingle Bell Rock (yes, that Jingle Bell Rock) he has this crazy glint in his eye that fools you into thinking for a minute that he is in on his own joke and is going to lose it any minute. But he doesn't lose it; he doesn't break out of this strange heavily made-up lude Bing Crosby-does-Elvis character.
Jingle Bell Rock

Add to My Profile | More Videos

I am sure he had his reasons, some of which must involve paying the gas bill, but I feel for the man. I can't even imagine the most heavily clad flannel pajama wearer relishing in these songs - they just make you feel dirty, only not in the good way that Cradle of Love did. More like the way you feel looking at the winner of the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest thinking, 'you actually won that just now? On purpose?'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home