Thursday, December 14, 2006

Poor Dave Letterman

With each new random vein of inquiry that I pursue in my never ending attempts to procrastinate, I lose just a little more interest in my paper topic. How can I possibly think about, let alone write, about obesity when Billy Idol is out there in the cruel world making Christmas videos? So maybe I've listened to Rebel Yell a few too many times today, but the little girl crush I had for him was certainly well founded and showed that even I had some wisdom beyond my years. Cheesy eighties be damned, he rocked. Going around looking like a bad ass Elvis, only a little snarkier and not as polite. I watched a little segment (you can guess where) of Billy on David Letterman back in 1984. The really great thing about the interview was that even though he was probably coked, or whatever, out of his mind, he still sounded moderately intelligent. He answered questions about his family seriously, and talked a bit about music in America and its influence on him. Not genius no, but way better than Madonna's display of total idiocy on the show in 1994. She sounded like a whiny jackass, as if she was the one had invented the public discourse on sex. Oh yeah, and she invented the fuck too. Instead Billy Idol with his amazing smirk drops atleast 2 sharp references to his sexual activity without batting an eyelash, effectively giving you more respect for this guy. He doesn't come off smutty, just good.

And ultimately, this is why we get obese - because we sit in front of our computers wasting time watching horrible tape recordings of late night TV from the eighties, and then spend even more time (out of guilt perhaps) trying to think about what we just saw in terms of cultural relevancy. Then we go to work and bore our foreign co-workers with pop trivia that they couldn't give two shits about because they don't know who Billy Idol is and True Blue was not their first album.
God I am so glad I am not like those people. My co-workers have atleast heard White Wedding because, well, what do you think they're from Mars?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home