Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Today, I am awesome.

Nothing dulls the nausea of boredom like some rockin' news: I found out this morning that I got an A+ in my Religion, Social Justice and Urban Development class. This is the class that I thought I would be lucky to get a B in; the class in which I procrastinated writing for like all hell; the class where I could barely grasp the multiple converging ideas; the class that has proved to be a turning point. So, yeah, I am happy. To make things sweeter, I emailed the professor to see if I could get his feedback on the final, because as I lamely put it, ‘it is the beginning of…something’. Yeah, ok. I am a cheese ball, but a horn tooting cheeseball. He wrote back: “I loved your paper. Yes, we can speak about it; but, not this week.” My heart surely skipped a beat.
You have to understand that this felt like the raw cookie dough of all papers. The stuff was there, but there none of it was completely put together, and there were all kinds of disparate ideas and tangents that didn’t really fit. But it had to be done, and not just because it was the final and it was 60% of the grade but because I had to write about public space. I had to. It was there, this bundle of want to write about Olmsted and Central Park, sidewalks, land, terrain, closed crampedness and vast openness.
But he loved it. Yeah, ok, I ‘m reading too much into a two sentence email, but amidst all the eppendorfs and uncomfortably warm incubators, I have this nugget of self satisfaction to carry around in the breast pocket of my labcoat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home