Friday, May 12, 2006

The Culture Ministry

Today has been a, hands down, way-better-than-yesterday day. Yesterday was made interesting by the fact that I establishd a "Gum Museum" on my desk, and I made a kick -ass birthday card for Julia's birthday on Monday.

Those 4 blue pieces on the end were chewed yesterday between 2 and 5pm. Today's gum continues to the left and so far, that would be as of 4 pm, there 5 wads in place. Each wad consists of 2 or more pieces, being that part of the addiction is the sensation in my mouth when I first bite down on a fresh piece. This must be residual behavior from my days as a smoker. Back in school it was a pack of Winston's a day; now it's an 18 pack of Trident*.

The Gum Museum is kind of a test to see how much I can ghet away with in terms of idiosyncratic grossness while at work. It's not in a totally public place, but any body who comes to my desk will see it. I will fortunately get to observe my multi-hued specimens all the time.

This is my last school free weekend until August, and while I am hoping to really make the best of it, it's unlikely that we'll do anything extraordinary. I am really, really glad to be starting classes again on Tuesday. Even though it's only been a week since I handed in my final, I have been going through a withdrawal of engaging things to do at work (that don't involve work, of course).
The main thing is to remember the birthday cake so I don't get lynched by a sugar-starved mob of scientists.

*Trident is the gum of choice, but to shake things up a bit I tried Stride, that new gum that looks like either condoms or a pack of really small cigarrettes. Stride kind of sounds like it could be the name of a condom too, which is a little off-putting considering I just put the last one in my mouth. My review: the fact that the gum itself is blue makes it a winner, but the flavor doesn't last any longer than other gum, which is supposed to be one of their selling points. Also, it's too soft on the initial bit-down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home