Monday, May 22, 2006

Band-Aid Anyone?

Ouch, this hurts. It's literally painful being here, at work, among the din of freezer condensers and incubators, stomach swirling from the vomit-cream colored walls. I ran today, with minimal pain (what pain I did have might have been from the bandage being wrapped too tightly around my foot) and very seriously considered driving back home and calling in sick. There were several factors which would have caused my plan to seriously backfire however. The first was that I had parked outside of work, since I start running from the back lot of the hospital, so in my returning to my car to sneak away there was a very serious chance of being spotted by someone who would recognize me. It would not bode well for my 'I'm in bed and puking my guts out' story to have been spotted running. Second, I had asked R to stop by work so he could pick up the car and get an oil change. If I got home after he had left, he would come by to see me at work and discover that I wasn't there - and raise the eyebrows of my co-workers as to why my fiance didn't notice that I was 'in bed puking my guts out'. (Note: we are the last people on the earth to not have cell phones, so we still have comic episodes of miscommunication from time to time. We have developed a pretty elaborate, but effective system of communication however, involving: calling other people's cell phones from land lines who from there call my mother who gives us the message in person 8 hours later. Also smoke signals and yelling.)
I do have a way out though: I am taking my car to get "serviced" myself at 1pm which means that it could take from twenty minutes to two hours. Now I just have to make it till then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home