Thursday, March 23, 2006

A change of plans

All those "lofty" I had said that I wanted to talk about when I got the chance? They're going to have to wait because right now it is crucial for me to tell you all that

I hate babies.

No, I don't want to do weird things to make them suffer, or harm them in any way be it physical or psychological. And no, its not that I think that people shouldn’t have babies - go ahead pop em out as fast as you like - just don't ask me to baby sit.

Here's the thing: they're not cute, they smell, and the shit that comes out of their mouth isn't cute or "precocious" it's just incoherent garbage. Then there is the call of motherhood argument. Well I haven't got that call yet - thank god. I concede that some day it will probably smack me in the face and I'll be rambling like a baby myself about how I need to have a child and all that crap. What I don't understand is why, when the topic of pregnancy comes up (which is about every day now with Johana in her 7th month) I get winks and nudges and the inevitable question -'are you going to be next?

NO.

Maybe I am a little behind, but did I miss the day that 25 year old unmarried women with unstable finance were expected to get pregnant? The unmarried part isn't what bugs me - that's no big deal since marrying R doesn't even rank in the high hundreds on my agenda. But 25? That's not a little young for the 21st century? Apparently I am the only one in this lab who thinks so. Maybe it's the 'pregnancy as protection' model that has been etched into everyone’s vision of the world that causes my co workers to be so insistent.

Of course, I think what they are all really thinking is that it's just a matter of time before an "accident" happens. They know
that I couldn't possibly be planning to have a child so of course, when you don't plan you're not ready for the party when it arrives are you? I can't blame them for being right. At this point, I see that there are two explanations for my escape from motherhood thus far: either R has been shooting blanks this whole time and we've been worrying for nothing, or, god really does exist and knows that I sure as hell ain't ready.
For some reason, I'd rather not know which one.

*****

I forgot in the heat of my discontentent that I am pleased at punch that I received the new Quinton & Miss Pussycat album. Here it is, the actual object in all its glory:

It rocks.

I have taken some illicit peeks at the enclosed DVD today, but I'll watch it through when I get away from prying eyes.

I love puppets. I have always loved puppets, and Miss Pussycat has made me want to be a puppet.
(Talk about being good.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home