Thursday, June 29, 2006

Radioactive Promotion!

In promotional news: I am trying to get together a reading at our studio to coincide with Open Studio Tours and things are looking up. The plan is to invite writers to write in response to our (R and my) work, and have a reading on the evening of October 14th of the contributing pieces. Self indulgent? Egocentric? Yes. But, hey, it's our studio and we can do what we want. If you (dear, invisible reader) are interested drop me a hello. I updated my Flickr page a bit so if you are indeed curious, please stop by. It's a very rough showing, with lots of silly images interspersed, but it will give you an idea of what's going on this side of the city.


* * *

As expected, the bone scan revealed a bright little spot of radioactive luminescence confirming the presence of a stress fracture. That's what I think anyways, we'll have to still wait for a professional opinion. But the more amazing, probably worrying, thing is that in the right leg there is also a bright spot visible, although it's not as defined and clear as it is in the left. I am thinking that the soleus pain I had a few months back was a stress fracture after all.

Work life hasn't been quite as miserable lately since I have been working on Western blots - a technique I haven't don in a while so it feel s kind of new. Although I can sense already that the newness will fade very fast - considering that in about a week and a half I have repeated it 4 times with a 0% success rate. Soon enough my simple, but deadly, mistake will come to bite me in the face. Until then, I have a little time to kill.

My second summer class started this week with a tedious round the circle discussion about whether the city, the country or the suburbs can provide safety, pleasure, virtue and so on. This was an insanely tiring exercise because the professor had us go one by one, topic by topic and state our preferences and why. This might have been more enlightening, but it seemed like there were no great points of contention: a lot more people favored the country for things like beauty and pleasure - even love - than I would have imagined. Of course, with every mention of the countryside as a preference, my position as an urban defender became more pronounced. The radioactive crap (technicium?) they injected with yesterday to do the bone scan has left me feeling tired and worn out, so I am not exactly in the mood to sit out 3 hours of very tepid conversation. Maybe it will get better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home