Friday, June 09, 2006

Joan Jett

This refers to an article appearing yesterday:
I can't get over the picture of Joan Jett I saw in the New York Times today. It would be a lie to say that the reason I keep glancing it is not envy, but rather, something deeper, more significant, more in sync with her punkiness. But it's not: my glancing, my looking over her "toned and sinewy arms" as the Times put it, has to do with sheer female jealosu. Jealousy that I too, not so many months ago, in my own kind of prime too had her physical hardness. Not her hardness of character, I'm sure (not that I would know how "hard" she is) but her bodily steel.
I see in Joan Jett what she rails against. But then, she's asking for it isn't she? She's not fat and ugly. She's hot. So those of us committed forever to men, who do not lust after her, are left only wanting to look like her; not for our men but for ourselves. It's a circle. A femist rotunda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home