Thursday, March 09, 2006

Shave a Piece Off For Me

Had a great run on the old tready this morning! My leg is smarting just a tad, but it was worth it. Just short of 8 miles but it felt awesome. I think that the earlier sunrises are doing me good: I have noticed that you can sense the change in light even before the sun has started to come up. Maybe it's not the light but something else I am sensing - feeling the day coming on. Any how, it has been so much easier to get out of bed at 5am for the past week and I am guessing it will only get easier. Soon are the days when the sun will rise at 5:30!

Last night I had a longish talk with my aunt, the first real conversation we've had probably since I was a teenager. Usually, talking to her requires a fair bit of eye-rolling control. She always seems to have a new herbal remedy, or Chinese cure for things like cancer or Lymes disease that she tries to peddle. For example both R and I have had Lymes disease several times, and for years she has been trying to get is to take something...some mineral? I don't remember now - but something to build up our immunity and "kill the virus" once and for all. Her claim is that this mystery compound changes the molecular structure of the disease - or something of that nature. But how? It's futile to try and get a scientific rational because even if there is one, she is not in possession of it.
On top of the Quack medicine, and more importantly, there is a sub-surface family dispute between her and my parents, particularly my father. Since my grandmothers dementia has gotten worse, the issues between them have been largely put to rest. To be honest, I have never fully understood what the actual issue between them was. Maybe it's better that way.

It is in my aunts nature to drift. To my parents who are singularly driven and grounded, her take-it-as-it-comes attitude is to them beyond eccentric and straight up irresponsible. My feelings towards my aunts behavior tend to fall more in line with those of parents, more often than not because my view has been fully marinated by their opinions. It seems as if each time she turns up on the east coast to grace us with her medicinal wisdom, she is involved in a new business endeavor. (I won't be so cruel as to call them schemes). The most recent is gold mining. I have yet to understand how a former psychologist gets involved in the international gold mining industry, but hey, maybe I am not old enough yet.
Two things struck me about our conversation last night: the first was that she was still with the gold mining thing and it actually seemed to make some sense and second, that she actually said "I have realized it's not my time to be trying all these new things. That's for you younger guys - it's your turn." This was amazing to me because for as long as I have known her she always seems to be planning her next disciplinary jump. It seems that as she approaches 60, she has actually found a sliver of a calling. A sliver.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following craps Blog, it is cool to!

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home