Thursday, March 30, 2006

Oh, Vic.

Had such big plans for yesterday - I even had big plans for my post which I had envisioned as a lengthy, complex comparison between the demise of Vic Godard and the Subway Sect and my own demise as an artist. According to some "analysts", it was their own precious attitude toward their music that really prevented them from producing more work. In one interview, Vic talks about it taking 2 years for a song to be ready for release. As far as I can tell, and I am no great music critic, they saw themselves as revolutionaries - that they were doing something that was beyond, punk and beyond rock n'roll. But really, it wasn't all that different than what everyone else was doing at the time.
So after our little dinner date with the Professor on Tuesday night it dawned on me that maybe I've been suffering from Subway Sect Syndrome. We were all strolling back to our cars, and he asked me what I imagined myself doing in 10 years. The truth is that I can't imagine anything - not in a bleak, existential sense, I just don't know and truth be told, I am embarrassed that I don't have a future plan so to speak. So, I do my best to sidestep the question by rambling a little breathlessly about my problems with the gallery system and installation work and not being sure how I fit into it. Silence. "Maybe your just haven't become involved in the community yet." This is true, I haven't. And his observation ticked me off precisely because it's true. After thinking about it, I realized that part of what I have been doing since I got out of school is the making excuse that art isn't what its supposed to be, so that ,must mean there is some other way around it. My critique, I think, is fundamentally accurate, however even I know that nothing is perfect and that the only way to get anything done is to actually do it. In a way, I have been holding art up to too high a standard. It can't save the world; it won't rescue humanity. But it does do a lot of other things. Enter Vic. Paralyzed by his high regard for his art form - really, he should have just made the damn music, like I should just be making the damn art.
In light of all these revelations, I had planned to set up my drawing area last night. Exhaustion set in and took over all my good intentions, but I at least managed to get my drawing materials our of storage. Steps. Small steps.
Also, perhaps you heard, the Beastie Boys were on Fresh Air last night. What was so great about the interview was that the three of them would get on some riff together, and Terry Gross would try to get a comment in, but they would keep talking to each other and totally ignore her. She didn't sound that ecstatic to be talking to them in the first place, so she was probably even more peeved that they kept cutting her off. I also thought it was great that she didn't seem to get some of their jokes, like one of the Beasties was talking about how during a tour your voice gets used to all the screaming and rapping, and like a runner, your voice builds endurance. Another one (I never knew which one was talking) replied something to the effect "you don't want to blow a hammy". Poor Terry could only muster an "okay....".
We could all learn a few things from the boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home