Thursday, August 04, 2005

I'm Gonna Kick Your Ass

I wish I were a bad-ass.
That's what I want for my birthday - a big heaping shot of bad-ass please.

That image we all have ourselves when we daydream - you, only a little better. All the little things that you just wish could change about yourself, but can't for whatever reason, are corrected in the daydream. Recently, I have been a little taller (ok, like 6 inches taller), more clever, slightly quicker in my rebuttals and much more crass - in an elegant way. The only part of this that happens to be leaking out into reality is the crass part, sans elegance.

We had a guest speaker come to the lab today, and normally it is my job to help them set up their presentation in the lecture hall, show them how to advance the slide - all the the stuff that a working PhD should know already. Today has been kind of a hectic day anyway, aggravated by the fact that I have been extremely physically tired from the moment I step into work....

You know what? I don't want to tell this story. You can't really be interested in what happened at this lecture. I sure as hell wasn't. The point is that I was pissed because I had been rushed to be there early and when i got there someone had done my job for me already. Ok, I was off the hook and I could enjoy the carrots I had smuggled in my pocket in peace. But I was pissed. And while I sat there being pissed, I felt like I was exuding a dark cloud of cold and righteous angst - and I loved it. Sadly, the expression on my face was probably one of sleepy boredom. But I pretended I looked like I was ready to kick some ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home