Sunday, July 17, 2005

Other Evidence of Being a Loser

This morning while I was making my coffee at the Wawa's little coffee island, I did something amazing: I joked with a stranger. Kind of. It wasn't very good, and the timing was a little late - but the guy laughed! He had just made his coffee and for some reason was putting one of the flat white lids on it (instead of the black travel type) when a perfect stream of coffee came shooting out in an arch out of the little hole at the top of the lid. I laughed, he laughed. Then he said something about finishing off the romance with a little candle - which I didn't get, but quipped back, 'and you have an elegant little fountain there'. It was lame, so lame but I was losing time in the moment so I pushed it out. 'I can throw some coins in it and make a wish'. Mutual laughter, and I finished making my cup.

Now that I have actually written this down I see how pathetic this actually was. But it felt like such a victory!
Then I went back home, crawled back into bed with r and told him about it. We had a great morning laying in bed with our coffees telling eachother how we spent the day yesterday (since I hadn't seen him since the morning), until we started arguing about cleaning up. Nobody apologized, and the conflict was never really resolved. Its blown over by now, and it is thundering and lightening here in Philadelphia. I haven't been so happy to just be home, in our tiny apartment, doing domestic things like cleaning up, reading, bickering - in months. I definitely neeed to talk to strangers more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home